11/09/2014

Loving the Mate desktop environment so far...

After hearing a lot of good things about the Mate desktop environment, and the fact that it became available for Ubuntu, I've decided to give it a spin.

So far, I've liked much. I got remained of why I fell in love with GNU/Linux, and Ubuntu in particular, in the first place. I felt right at home from the start, and I didn't have much trouble getting up to speed with it.

Ever since Ubuntu started using Unity desktop environment as default on the Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal release, Unity became my go to desktop environment. I've tried using Cinnamon desktop environment with Linux Mint a couple of times now, but never felt as comfortable with as I'm with Unity.

Yet, Mate has felt a lot better than both Unity and Cinnamon have so far. The best part for me, is that I can run it on Ubuntu with ease. Which means that I don't have to leave my favorite distro to use Mate, while getting the desktop experience I feel most comfortable with.

I know that I could get Cinnamon to run on Ubuntu, but I don't see the case since I prefer using Unity. But, now Mate is giving Unity a run for it's money to become my favorite desktop environment. And since I can use it on Ubuntu, I feel right at home with Mate. It might be a case of nostalgia, but if all goes as it has so far, Mate will become my go to desktop environment leaving Unity on second place.

Now I find myself wanting for Ubuntu Mate to become an official flavor of Ubuntu. Yet, even if this doesn't come to pass, I still plan to use Mate as my desktop environment on Ubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...