6/02/2019

Linux Mint should stay.

A couple of days ago while on YouTube, I came to couple of videos that made reference to an article at TechRepublic arguing that Linux Mint should go.

As a Linux Mint user, I agree with Joe Collins and Switch to Linux. All the issues on the TechRepublic's article are actually nonissue, either because those issues don't mean much to the end user or have been solved in a timely manner.

Linux Mint is the Linux distro that just works for me, and in a way that it doesn't gets in the way of getting things done. Most importantly, I don't have to constantly having to figuring out why a part of the system broke and having to fix it. And while I've become more proficient on doing things on my system under the hood, its not something I want to do regularly.

And let's face it, most the people want just that. They just want to focus on their regular job, and not have to figure out why their system stop working they way they want it to every so often. That's why many user have left Windows, because it got in their way by braking their workflow.

For me, Linux Mint bring that to the Linux community. Is one of those distros people can go to, when they want a OS that just lets them focus on their every day computing without worrying that an update will brake their computer.

One of the best things about Linux, is that if you don't like a distro for whatever reason you don't have to use it. Yet, that you don't like it, or it doesn't fits your need, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have an audience that find it useful.

At the end of the day, if we want more people to make the jump to Linux, and to open source software in general, we need to start to be more welcoming as a community to those new users. And that includes giving them the software they need, and find useful, to actually make the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...