9/22/2022

Time has proven Linux to be a great fit for my computing needs.

When I jump to using Ubuntu full time on my personal computer about a decade ago, I couldn't have imagined that I'd be using a Linux distro for my work as well.

While I moved to Linux Mint since 2019, I've been able to do my job since 2022 without much trouble using Remmina to connect to the remote desktop I need to connect to do my job. The best part is that it has given me the chance to work remotely, which has allowed me to have more flexibility on how I manage my time and be more productive.

My work place uses Windows computers for everything. So, when we had to start working remotely because of the pandemic, and bringing the desktop computer I used home with me, I was worried about losing some income because of it. Yet, with a few hours of research I found Remmina and it has worked like a charm ever since then. Actually, when I showed to the IT team at work, they were surprised how well it worked. Mainly because the software they had tried to use to connect to a remote Windows desktop using a Linux distro didn't actually work well enough to use on production machines.

The main problems were unstable connections, the keyboard didn't work well, and things that made the whole thing not really usable on a professional setting. Yet, Remmina works without any issue, and is easy to set up. The best thing, is that it works on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Both are Linux distros that are easy for people that haven't used Linux before, and distros that the IT team can set up easily on most of the hardware we already have.

What's more, much of the software used on daily basis works directly on Ubuntu and Linux Mint, like Chrome or Spotify, making it easier to move to them. Even Microsoft Office can be accessed via Chrome or Firefox, and those who don't want to use it via a browser would be able to use the desktop version on the remote desktop.

At the end of the day, Remmina has proven to be a solid option when I need to connect to a remote Windows desktop effectively, without having to move away from Linux Mint. Personally I do prefer to avoid Windows as much as possible on my personal computers.

Time has proven that Linux can be a real option, specially for users cases like mine than don't require software that only runs on Windows and that there are distros out there that don't require the user to be computer savvy to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...