5/04/2024

Linux Mint going for the long-term support model was the right choice.

Ever since I stared using Linux Mint with the long-term support mantra with the version 19 Tara release, I've come to prefer Linux distros that use development model rather than distros that release updates more often with shorter support windows.

Even though I upgrade to the new Linux Mint release as soon it becomes available, knowing that I don't have to rush it and that the testing to make sure nothing is broken with the new release is a bit more intense, gives me feel a bit safer about thing will continue working as I used to and expect them to. Besides, all the apps I use are updated as continuously. As such, I don't need to worry using versions of those apps that fall behind.

Not only the that, with updates to Linux Mint come as needed and the point releases keep bring the big releases that weren't included at the original release of the OS. For my needs, Linux Mint cover them all, and it gets better with time. With each release, Linux Mint keeps feeling like a modern OS with a lot of stability baked in.

Each release fixes what needs to be fixed, while making sure that everything else keeps working. It also adds the functionalities that people can expect from a modern OS, without having to learn how to used all over again. It just works, and most of the time it just keeps working without much change. While there have been changes here and there, those changes are easy to understand why there were made and easy to get used to.

Most importantly, Linux Mint is quite an elegant OS that can be set up to each user taste if the user wishes to do so. If not, using without changes is a breeze.

No wonder Linux Mint has become my go to OS for both work and personal use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...