8/03/2024

Linux Mint 22 Wilma, a great upgrade.

I made the upgrade to Linux Mint 22 Wilma, an while it isn't a revolutionary upgrade it has been quite a good upgrade. To be honest, is the kind of upgrade that I've come to expect from the Linux Mint team, they bring those upgrades that will continue to give the best user experience without braking the system.

The update I notice the most, is the blueman-manager for Bluetooth devices. It connects to my Bluetooth headphones a lot faster and effectively. It is simply way better, and something I do notice since I do use Bluetooth headphone with my laptop on daily basis, specially at work when I want to concentrate on my job.

With each Linux Mint release, the more I'm convinced that Linux can be used by people that just want an computer that just work for them. While not Linux is not for everyone, it has come a long way to be useful to a larger set of users. Not only that, it has become a lot more user friendly that most people believe.

A user that just wants to browse the Internet and watch YouTube or Netflix, can use Linux Mint without much trouble.; even Spotify runs well on Linux. 

With time, the apps that don't run on Linux have been decreasing. And the reason why they don't run on Linux have more to do with not enough people using Linux than technical reasons. Which means, that if enough people ask for Linux version, software developer will make it available for Linux at some point.

With Linux distros like Linux Mint becoming more user friendly, and with longer support times, means that more users and businesses can use it without more trouble than making sure that the apps they use are supported.

The fact that each Linux Mint major release is supported for four years, is something that make the transition for businesses is a lot easier. I make the upgrade every two years, yet the fact that businesses can wait up to four years is a plus.

I've been using Linux for the better part of two decades, and I've seen getting better with time. Specially in the user experience front, with distros like Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are distros that are easy to use, and make it easy for people with no Linux experience to make the jump from other operating systems. Specially because most of what can be done on Windows can be done on Linux Mint or Ubuntu without much trouble.

Now it has come to specific software that targets either Windows, or macOS, and has no direct replacement on Linux that make it hard to make the jump. Other than that, there is no reason for not being able to make the jump.

To be honest, I'm glad that I'm witness to how much improvement Linux has made on the user experience with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...