10/04/2026

Stability Where It Counts, Modern Standards Where It Matters

With age, I've come to realize that become more selective where I want to be on the bleeding edge of tech and where I rather take a more conservative approach to the OS and apps I use for my daily life.

For example, I prefer to use Linux Mint on my laptops because of its focus on stability. While I see why some people prefer, or need, an OS with the latest and greatest, I prefer my OS to be stable and just add new things when they are mature. In apps like my web browser and office suite, I prefer to be a lot more up to date with modern standards.

All depends on what I need to use a certain piece of software for, and the same goes for hardware. Most of the the time I just need them to be stable for every day use, without any feature that gets on my way. I don't mind learning new ways to do things, if those news way will actually are a better way to do something. If not, there is no good reason to change anything.

Meanwhile, I don't mind software developers change the aesthetics of their app, or OS in the case of Linux Mint, until I actually use it. Most of the time, the change in aesthetics is not that much of a big deal, and I get used to the new way it looks rather quickly. Most of the time, I don´t notice it much.

When the workflow is changed, I reserve judgement until I actually have time to use it and see if it works for me. The reason I moved from Ubuntu to Linux Mint full time, was when Canonical dropped Unity and Cinnamon became the better fit for my needs. The reason I did not made the jump sooner, mainly was that Cinnamon wasn't mature enough for me when I first tried it.

At the end, I've become aware that one has to be selective where and when one can play conservatively. Sometimes, it is worth to be at the forefront of tech while others is better to wait for it to mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stability Where It Counts, Modern Standards Where It Matters

With age, I've come to realize that become more selective where I want to be on the bleeding edge of tech and where I rather take a more...