10/15/2014

Long road into FOSS, but I'm not looking back...

The first piece of software that took me on the long way away from Windows, and all proprietary software, was NeoPlanet. I came to it looking for an option for the now ubiquitous Internet Explorer that I still dislike with a passion.

From NeoPlanet, I made the jump to Firefox(which still is my favorite web browser by a long shoot). With Firefox entered my keen interest and support for free and open source software(FOSS), which has led me make the jump to Ubuntu full time with the 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx release.

Even though I've given a try to Linux Mint(my second favorite distro, and the one I recommend to those who want to make the jump to GNU/Linux but want something similar to Windows.) and Fedora(my third favorite distro), Ubuntu still holds the top spot. Ubuntu is the OS that better suits me for the use I give my computer, while it doesn't get in the way of how I do things.

Now even my smart phone is GNU/Linux, since it's running Android. I've been eying to make the change ever since Android supported devices came to Mexico, but I didn't get the chance to make the move until a couple of months ago. I must say that I'm really happy with the OS, and the other other mobile OS that I would like to give a try now is Ubuntu Touch when I get the chance to put my hand on a device running it.

I can't imagine not running FOSS on my personal laptop and smart phone. For me the perfect combination is Ubuntu for my computer, and Android for my smart phone. Though this might change once I get the chance to try a smart phone running Ubuntu Touch.

I also highly recommend everyone to make the move to FOSS when they get the chance. If you're using Chrome or Firefox to read this blog, or use an Android device, you have the prove of how good FOSS can be. If you can, the best first step into the FOSS world if you don't have confidence on your technical skills to install a distro yourself(though installing Ubuntu and Linux Mint is really simple in my personal experience) a Chromebook is the best option.

There a lot of reasons to make the jump, like security and respect to your privacy, to use FOSS. Since the ease to make the jump has steadfastly increasing all the time, now is the best time to come over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...