3/15/2015

Mobile OS dilemma...

With Ubuntu Touch finally coming to the market, and with it's possible release in Mexico soon, it all puts me in a peculiar situation. By the time I come to replace my smart phone, I might have to choose between continuing using Android or make the jump to Ubuntu.

So far, I've liked Android. There has been some hiccups, there hasn't been one that I haven't been able to fix myself with a little bit of research. None of those problems has taken me more than a couple of hours to fix, so there isn't much to complain about.

The user experience I've had so far, it has been quite good. The only complain, is that the device doesn't have that much memory. As such, that can't be blamed on Android; besides it has enough memory to house the apps that I like and use regularly without any problem. So, if I choose to continue with Android it would be with a device with more memory than the one I currently have.

On the Ubuntu Touch side, I use Ubuntu on my laptop and I love the OS. So, jumping to an Ubuntu Touch powered device makes sense because I'm already familiar, and love, Ubuntu's Unity user interface.

As such, I like the idea that both my laptop and smart phone give me a common user experience. With that, I move more seamlessly among them.

While I like the user interface that comes with Android, I prefer much more the user interface that Unity has. Unity is simply a better fit for my tastes and the way I interact with my devices.

Ubuntu Touch has some room to mature and develop as consumers start putting it through it's paces. The good news for me, since by the time it hits Mexico many of the bugs encountered may have been fixed and the functionality of the OS in general will be enhanced by the users and carries feedback.

As such, if Ubuntu Touch comes to Mexico in time, I'll be having on the tough spot of choosing between to mobile operating systems I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...