10/30/2015

Why I'm a free and open source software advocate and user...

As an free and open source software advocate, that actually uses it on my personal laptop on daily basis, I find most arguments for and against it a bit exaggerated.

I do recommend free and open source software to be used by all, it's just a matter of finding the right software for the needs of the user. For most users, I'd recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint since I've first hand experience with both of this distros and they cover the needs of most users with not that much of a learning curve.

Most importantly, these two distros have all the software that most people normally uses on daily basis. As such, they wont miss their proprietary software all that much since they can do all what they are used too without a problem.

With Ubuntu and Linux Mint they can still have access to software like Firefox, Chrome, Spotify and Skype. For other software, there are options available that work at least as well as their counterparts in Windows or Mac OS X while being user friendly.

I've to deal with proprietary software at work, and I simply see the benefits of free and open source software when I compare both head to head. While I concede that free and open source software is far from perfect, it does perform a lot better than proprietary software in every way.

Free and open source software needs to become the norm, since it goes beyond doing the job it's task with. It's about our freedoms as individuals and communities being respected, and being able to task and build communities around the software we use freely without a centralized entity telling us how we should do things.

At the end, free and open source software is not about monetary cost. Is about our freedoms as individuals and communities to be able to put software at our service and not being at the service of the companies who supply the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...