7/08/2016

Steaming is here to stay, but not to entirely supplant other formats...

As this article at Wired, some miss CD's, vinyl or cassettes out of nostalgia sake. Specially people, who like me, grew up owing music on the medium having them around is somewhat satisfying.

Yet, even younger generations seem to appreciate at least having some MP3 files handy. The thing is, streaming services while being handy way to discovering or accessing music, won't entirely supplant other formats. One of the most important roadblocks, are some right holders simply won't release their music to streaming services.

Also there is the fact that people want to have some of their music available in a way that streaming services like Spotify or Apple music wont allow. There are several legal, technical, and sentimental issues that prevent streaming services ever to supplant owning music in the format of your choice. But, it makes it the perfect way to complement it.

I used to say I wouldn't have a use for streaming services, yet I found Spotify a nice way to discover new music and listen artists whose music I like but not enough to buy a track or record from. I still have a large collection of CD's and music on my hard drive, that's are my go to artists and records the majority of the time. I mainly use Spotify at work, since I don't have access to my music collection, or when I want to listen to something different.

I don't see streaming services going away, just consolidating. The same goes for CD's, vinyl and MP3, since people will always want the feeling these format gives to them while having the convenience that streaming services have to offer. What remains to be seen, is how people will habits will shape up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...