7/23/2016

I love to see Spotify officially supported on Linux...

As an Ubuntu and Spotify user, I find it quite frustrating that there isn't a supported  native client for Linux. While in general the Linux client works quite well, there are some features missing.

The one I miss the most is the ability to minimizing it to the icon tray. In itself, it isn't a big deal. Yet, I'd like to have the option to have Spotify running on the background as I do with the Android client. Yet, I prefer the look and feel of the 1.0.28 version of the client. It feels a lot more modern, and I really thinks it has been a step forward design wise.

While I'd like to see Spotify to have a native client that runs on as many Linux distros as possible, it would be nice to see Canonical and the Linux Mint development team working closer with Spotify to have a native client supported for these two distros. The main reason for this is that they are the two most popular distros, and the ones that biggest share of users that would seriously switch to them if they had a native Spotify client with all the features found on Windows and Mac OS X.

Spotify is becoming more ubiquitous, and there is becoming harder to find someone who doesn't have an account to the service. As such, that Ubuntu and Linux Mint could say they have a supported client would give them some extra points for users to consider them.

For me, while it isn't vital to have it, its important that the OS I use supports Spotify. The app has become an important part of my music listening habits, and a way for me to discover new artists and music. That's why I'd love to see Spotify officially supported on Ubuntu, and Linux Mint.

Most importantly, having more people taking seriously Ubuntu and Linux Mint as options is something that could make more people aware of Linux. With that, more people would become aware of open-source software and the open-source movement. The fact that there is a supported client for Android, which is Linux based, is something that gives me hope that something can be worked out to have a supported client on Linux.

I hope that Canonical would step it and sort something out. I think that if Canonical worked along with Spotify, Ubuntu could have a client with all the features it has on other OSes. That would benefit everyone, and make a lot of Ubuntu users a lot happier with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...