6/19/2017

Geekdom includes many kinds of people.

As a geek, one of the things that personally I find most annoying is that often people tell me I'm not because I don't fit the stereotype of how geeks are supposed to look, or act. Most often this comes from people who don't know me that much, since most of those who do really do see me as one.

It seems that most people don't realize how big the spectrum of interests and passions that geekdom cover, that they might not realize how many geeks they know and are close to. Most often than not, geeks have several interest that we follow with various degrees of interest.

Also, being a geek doesn't equate to social awkwardness. Yes, some geeks are somewhat awkward around people, but many of us can socialize quite easily with several kinds of people. Many actually are quite adept, and they love to, socialize since they pursuits mean they have to interact with people often. While sometimes they are just people persons, and socialize because they actually enjoy doing so.

I'm on those geeks that likes to socialize now and then, even go to have some beers to places not normally associated with geeks. I can enjoy a nice chat with people, though I prefer hanging out with close friends, or reading, much more.

While I embrace my geekdom, as do many of my closest friends, there are many who hesitate to do so because they fear the negative aspects of what being a geek is supposed to be. Don't be afraid, since its up to you how you define your geekdom.

Being a geeks isn't about being better, or worse, than those around you. Its about being yourself, and finding what makes you yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...