3/03/2019

Cross-platform software should become the norm.

I regularly use three different OSes, Windows 7 at work, Linux Mint on my machine, and Android on my smartphone. With this, I've come to appreciate cross-platform software since it gives me the ability to access the things I like no matter the OS I'm using at the moment.

The apps I use the most on the three OSes are Spotify, Firefox, and Dropbox. For many reasons, being able to use these three apps on every device I uses independently of which OS they are running makes them very convenient for me. Specially in the cases of Spotify and Firefox, since been able to access my accounts makes it easier to access the content and services I use regularly all that easier and practical.

Cross-platform software became important for me since I moved full time to Linux, since at work I've to use Windows because some of the apps needed for the operations is Windows only. And because I wanted to keep using Firefox, and Songbird the music player I used at the time. As a matter of fact, a big reason why I choose Spotify is the fact that it runs on Linux Mint.

While I understand there are practical restrictions to support all OSes, which in the case of Linux distros is specially true, I've come to look for software that is supported on Android and Linux Mint(or Ubuntu at least, since if it runs on Ubuntu it will run on Linux Mint). And for the most of the people I know, both on a personal and on professional levels, cross-platform software is becoming important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...