8/26/2023

Remmina: a great option for Windows remote desktops on Linux.

For about 4 years now, I've relied on a remote Windows desktop for work. At first I used a desktop using Windows 7 provided by employer, and it did a great job. To be honest, Windows 7 and Windows XP are the two best OSes released by Microsoft, but I prefer using Linux Mint as much as possible.

Then, the pandemic hit and forced us into home office to keep going. To be honest, I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to work from home since at home I used Linux Mint on my laptop, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to connect remotely to the work server in order to keep my job.

After a few hours of research, I found Remmina. Since I know my way around computers, yet I'm my technical skills are no really all that advanced, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to configure it correctly. Yet, it was easy to set up the remote desktop quickly.

So far, I still use my laptop even after we have come back to the office. I prefer to use it, because since we use WhatsApp and our email isn't run on the remote desktop, having 2 monitors really helps me to keep on top of what I've to do at work.

Not only that, I've been somewhat of a beta user at work in order to make a case to make the jump to Linux Mint on the end user computers, while only using Windows on the server used for the main software at work. There are some kinks to work out, like being able to use the network printer, but so far the user case looks really good.

For me Linux Mint, is an Linux distro that stands true to its slogan: From freedom came elegance. And it has become my go to OS for my personal and professional computing needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...