11/18/2011

Net Neutrality and SOPA...

I've been reading about the SOPA act, which aim is to protect the copyright holders from piracy.

I agree on the principle that everyone has the right to receive payment for any work that they do, after all it takes time and effort to do so. But, I've a problem with how the SOPA act intends to protect the copyright holders from piracy.

The idea that just by accusing someone of piracy brings about the kind of actions SOPA proposes are, for me, disturbing.

I believe that the Internet should be an open and even field for the exchange of information and ideas. I do agree on the proponents of Net Neutrality, there shouldn't anyone that can stop the exchange.

Having access to information, and being able to exchange your ideas with other people is a fundamental right.

And is specially important to bring forth innovation. Sharing ideas, and comparing notes freely, can lead to new ideas. The more people contribute and share ideas, the easier it is to solve problems. The Internet is a tool that makes such exchange easier, and mainly allows people to connect with other than in other ways wouldn't be possible.

In many ways, I agree that the copyright laws that exist now inhibit innovation by making it easy for established companies attack smaller, or new, companies that threaten their leader position. Instead of making their own innovations, they sue in order to preserve the status quo.

If you put the copyright laws and SOPA together, I find it that rather that it would make more damage than good. If you want to really to stamp out piracy, make the Internet a really neutral place, where ideas and information can be easily shared.

Instead, focus on fixing the copyright law so it actually motivates competition by innovation. Not by suing or threating the smaller players.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...