11/22/2011

My Problem With Apple...

Let's keep something clear, I do agree that Apple produces great hardware and software.

Most of the products that Apple releases are great in design, and technology. Their products are innovative, and bring new things to the table. Or at least they are a flesh implementation of a technology that's already out there.

My problem with Apple is their philosophy. I don't mind that their software is proprietary, though I rather see in being open. And, I don't agree how they managed the hacking of the iPhone. Once I buy a product, I expect to be able to do whatever I want with it, and I don't appreciate a company telling me what I should do with my phone.

And I just had to roll my eyes, when many of the features that came from hacking the iOS where later integrated into it. I didn't expect Apple to thank, or acknowledge, those came first from the coders that hacked it. But, why fight so hard to avoid having people to hack your product, just to end up adding the features they did in the first place.

One of the things that irk me most about Jobs, was the way he reacted to Android. He claimed that Google stole his ideas to make Android what it is, and he was planing to go nuclear to get Android out of the market because of it.

But, let's go back a few years. Didn't Jobs quoted Picasso saying that good artist copy, and great one stole? Basically stating that if the had to steal great ideas from others he would if it meant that Apple could produce great products?

May be he said that Apple could steal from others, but other can't do the same from Apple.

Even though I don't condone stealing ideas from anyone, credit should be given where credit is due, I'm an advocate that ideas should be shared and used by anyone that needs to. The more people see the idea, and use it where and implemented in the best way possible, should be the norm.

By making it so, the field would be more fertile for innovation. The more people working on a project, the better the odd that someone would come out with a novel way of doing same thing. Or making it in a better way.

There should be some limits on how, and how much, any person can use from any idea. But, by having a easy and workable way for people to collaborate makes it easier, and faster, to come out with new ideas and ways to solve problems. By promoting openness, the discussion on how to move forward would be far more productive.

Imagine if each car manufacturer needed to come up with the engine or tires every time they introduced a new model.

The basic core of things should be there to be used by everyone that wants to work with it. What ever isn't at the core of the issue, can be put apart as modules for the use for the people who actually use it. But, even those should be available to those who might be interested in the capabilities that those modules bring.

Is up to the creators of those modules, if they give it back free or they charge for it.

I do believe that an open ecosystem is healthier, and is better in fostering and bringing innovation faster than the closed ecosystems are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...