7/16/2013

Musings about what OS to choose for my next smartphone...

As much I've been having a great experience with the BlackBerry I got a couple of months ago, I can't get my find myself wanting to change to an Android, Ubuntu Touch, or Firefox smartphone when I get the chance to do so.

The main factor, is that I what my computer and smartphone to run on open source software. On my laptop I run the latest version of Ubuntu, the 13.04 release which is my favorite Linux distro.

So, I want for my smartphone to run an open source OS so both the devices that I use for my daily life follow what I believe in. It's about having devices with software built around the freedoms and ethics I want to share with the world.

In many ways, smartphones are an extension of what we believe in and reflect what we value. There are a statement of our personality and who we are, because of this I want my next smartphone to run an open source OS. The way in which open source software is developed, is how I believe all human endeavors should be pursued.

The spirit of collaboration, in a public and transparent way, should be at the core of how we should manage all enterprises we set ourselves to follow. Closes systems, that don't allow people to freely collaborate, are not beneficial for humanity as a whole.

Fortunately for me, it seem that I'm having some choice about the OS that'll power my next smartphone. And the three options fall on the open source side, a really nice thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...