7/19/2013

Ubuntu vs Windows...

At work, I've been using Windows since it's the only option because the applications we use just run on it. I don't really mind it much, but I just can't help missing Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has become my Linux distro of choice, beating Windows by far in all the important areas for me. The time I spend using Windows at work only reinforce the fact that I'm not coming back to it any time soon, since I've grown fond of Ubuntu since it fits my computing needs and many of my views on how software should be developed.

Even though I've had some hurdles with Ubuntu, which is normal with any OS if you as me, in general Ubuntu has given me a more stable and user friendly experience than Windows ever did. Ubuntu hasn't gotten into my work flow, and with its move to Unity it has even become even less intrusive. While Windows now seems to have 1001 ways to irk me, in some cases in ways it didn't do when I was a more regular user.

I understand that Ubuntu might not be for everyone, but can think at least of a couple of more Linux distros that I would recommend even to people without prior experience with Linux. One would be Linux Mint, and the other Linux Pear. I'm not even counting the other Ubuntu based distros out there.

Many would think that having so many choices could be confusing, or that there is something wrong with some distros. Yet, it isn't the case what so ever, actually it just means that you get to choose the user interface that better suits your workflow. The core of the OS is basically the same, which means that you can run the same software regards of the distro you choose.

In a way, it's about finding the user interface that adapts to you and not you adapting to the user interface because there is no way around it.

Being able to compare Ubuntu and Windows head to head on daily basis, reaffirms that it's easier for me to change distro than to return to Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...