9/16/2014

Chromebooks are becoming quite a good option...

If this SanDisk SD card can be paired with Chromebooks, suddenly having a Chromebook becomes an option worth considering for me.

The main issue for me with having a Chromebook, is the internal storage capacity. Until now, most Chromebooks top at 64 GB is way lower than the amount of storage that I feel comfortable with. For me, the minimum size for the hard drive is 500 GB.

This means, that an SD card with a capacity of 512 GB hits the mark quite nicely. As a plus, storing my data on an SD card means that it can be easier to move it around devices.

With the local data storage issue solved, Chromebooks also have the benefit of price. They are cheaper, and most of them offer a great value for me since they are a perfect fit for my computing needs. I just need something to edit text, do some light work on spreadsheets, listen music and do light Internet browsing. All this can be done with ease with a Chromebooks, meaning that a Windows laptop might be an over kill.

Since Chrome OS, which runs all Chromebooks, is based on the GNU/Linux kernel, it makes the need to install another GNU/Linux becomes less important. In a way, Chrome OS is itself a GNU/Linux distro. So, I would be jumping to another distro from Linux Mint.

If I could dual boot Chrome OS and Linux Mint on a Chromebook, it would become a closed deal for me. Like this, I'd get to try Chrome OS, while using Linux Mint when I feel the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...