4/27/2017

Mixed feeling about Ubuntu switching back to GNOME.

Since I heard the news that Ubuntu is switching back to GNOME by Ubuntu 18.04 LTS next year, I must admit I've some mixed feeling about it.

I do understand the move, yet Unity has become my favorite user interface. Unity just works for me, and though you can make GNOME look like Unity I still would prefer not having to do that.

Back when Ubuntu used GNOME 2, I loved it. It simply it was a joy to use, and it was one of the main reasons why I want for Ubuntu as my distro of choice.

Then GNOME 3 came along, and while I do like it, I made the jump to Linux Mint to try it's Cinnamon user interface. At this time, it was a new piece of software and for whatever reason I hit a lot of bugs that interfered with my user experience. It has come a long way since then, and it became my 2nd favorite user interface.

At the time, I heard a lot of bad things about Unity. But, I decided to come back to Ubuntu and at least give it a try. I just fell in love with it, since it worked for me and the way it looks is just the way I want my desktop to look like out of the box.

To be honest, on the technical side of things I do thing is better for both Ubuntu and GNOME. Both sides will benefit from it, and most importantly Ubuntu users will get a great deal in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...