10/04/2011

FOSS...

If I remember correctly, it has been a year since I started using Ubuntu, or Mint, as my main operating system. I have found that I really enjoy using Ubuntu much more than using Windows.

So much more so, that I've no plans to go back to using Windows.

All the programs that I use, or need, are available in some way or another on Ubuntu or Linux in general. My favorite web browser, Firefox, is available. Also,my favorite office suite, LibreOffice is.

I've found Ubuntu to be more stable than Windows. In the year I've been using it, Ubuntu has only crashed once, an it was an early beta version of the 11.04 version. So, it was to be expected, since most of the bugs weren't ironed out. But, once I installed the stable version I haven't had no problem what so ever.

At this moment, I'm running the 11.04 version. I admit that initially I had my doubts about the Unity user interface, but I've found that I do like the look and feel it has. And I've been enjoying working with it, though I've run into some minor bugs that have been taken care off with the regular updates.

I do expect to up-date to the 11.10 version when it comes later this month.

Ever since I started investing, and learning, what free and open source software(FOSS) is, about 10 years ago, I've been trying to use as much as possible.

The principals and code of ethics that comes with FOSS are similar to those I've and believe in. So, I've become an advocate of FOSS and spread the word about it's benefits.  I find that FOSS are beneficial to innovation, that it actually can propel and foster it.

If more people can see, and modify, the source code to any piece of software to better suit their needs means that there will be better solutions to that given problem.

Allowing people to freely tinker with not just software, but hardware as well should not be discouraged. I agree there should be some rules to give credit to those who deserve it, but that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be allow to work on, and improve on, the software and hardware they use.

And also to share with the community at large the work that they have done.

There more people works to improve the systems we use, the better. Protection sure be in place to protect the ideas to be stolen, but not in a way to impede the improvement of it by third parties.

In the end, it's a balancing act. But its outcome should be decided by the people who actually use the product, not by any government or any other group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...