5/06/2014

AMD's low power chips could mean great news...

The idea that AMD is moving away from using Intel's x86 got me thinking about what needs have people at the consumer level. Even though we won't see the new architecture at least until 2016, the idea of having such processor on you average laptop, tablet or desktop isn't that bad.

I mean, the K12 processor will be 64 bit compatible is good news. If it gets low power consumption and a good performance, it might be an option for people that don't need high computing power. I can see myself using a something like an ultrabook powered by this kind of processor, since I don't need that much power to begin with.

Besides, I like to bring my laptop with me and I can't really on finding an outlet to connect to easily all the time. So, if AMD can offer a processor based on ARM that give me the right mix of performance and long battery life I'm sold. It would make my life all that easier, and I can think of many more people who would like the idea as much as I do.

Sure, there will be a market for high performance processors based on Intel's x86 architecture. Yet, is seems that that market will become more of a niche market. Yet, I don't see the architecture going away if Intel play its cards right. Odds are that both architectures will coexist, and on occasion serve particular markets that are better suited by the strengths of each architecture.

In my case, the news are quite welcome. Hope to see AMD's ARM based go into consumer product and take off, since it would be beneficial to consumers that don't need that much processing power while needing low power use for extended battery life.

Let's not forget that high performance processors are not all there is to a computer, and not everyone needs them to have a good performing computer. At the end of the day, processing power it's just part of the equation to consider when buying a new computer. For most uses, there is no need for a high power processor because they won't be using it at its peak performance at all.

So, AMD releasing this new ARM based architecture is a big thing for user that don't need the performance that the x86 offers while having a much better suited for extended periods of time using your battery do to its low power consumption.

I want to see how all pans out, and hope for it to become a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...