5/15/2013

My next smartphone will run on open source software..

Even though my experience so far with a BlackBerry device, specifically with the Bold 9650, has been quiet good I still targeting for an Android powered smartphone.

The main reason for me to do so, is that I want as many of my electronic devices run open source software. On my laptop I'm running Ubuntu 13.04, after a couple of months using Linux Mint 14. As such, I want and prefer to run an OS that's open source as Android.

If the timing is right, I'd consider making the jump to an Ubuntu Touch powered smartphone or one using Firefox OS. Both, as Android, are open sourced and are based on Linux. Yet, due to the fact that I already use Ubuntu, an Ubuntu Touch powered smartphone would have a clear advantage for me. It would allow me to better integrate my mobile experience with the one I've on my desktop.

As I said, all is about timing. So, it seems like Android will be the winner on that account, since Android is already available while Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS aren't at the time. But, in many ways my choice among the three would be one of taste, given that all three OS's are open source and that's the kind of software I want running my smartphone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...