2/29/2012

FOSS is the way...

I've been thinking about the software I would pay for, and the answer is that I'd pay for software that add value to what I do. Or, that actually enhance or facilitate what I do most often.

Also, I'd pay for technical assistance that I actually need or to build features that I don't have the time or the technical know-how to make.

But, I'd always prefer FOSS software over proprietary software. FOSS software gives me the advantage to change the software according to my need more easily, since I can ask anyone with the technical skills to do it. That person doesn't have to be part of the entity that made the software in the first place, giving me a lot more flexibility when I need to change anything.

The restrictions that FOSS comes with are a lot less cumbersome, and actually let the user use the software in ways that are more effective in meeting his or her needs. It doesn't force the user to work in the way envisioned by the original designer.

Users can adapt the software to its needs, not adapt its needs to the software.

And since software can be more readily optimized to what the user needs, the features that it contains can be exactly the ones the user ask for. Not only that, functionalities can be added or subtracted as needed faster since they can come in modules that can be plugged in, or out, as the need the need arises. And can be a lot cheaper, since one pays only for the functionalities that the user needs.

If we don't need a feature or functionality, we shouldn't be forced to pay for it and have it use resources that could be put in a better use.

More importantly, we should get what we see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...