2/11/2012

Linux is not just for geeks...

It's sad to see how many people dismiss using a Linux distro because they believe that it's hard to use.

The truth is that there are several distros that very user friendly, even for user that have is just coming into Linux. Just to mention a couple, both Linux Mint and Ubuntu are really easy to use.

What's more important, is that there are apps for Linux that let you do all the things you usually do on Windows or on Mac OS X. Sometimes, the apps available on Linux are superior to the one you might find on the other OS.

In the almost two years I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS, I've had no problem. As a matter of fact, I've found it a lot more stable and easier to use. The few problems I've come across have been easy to solve, I just had to do a little research and in a matter of a few minutes all was back on track.

What's better, if you don't like Ubuntu or Linux Mint there are a load of other distros out there. There is one that will be bound to meet your needs, and will make your desktop look as you like.

That's what appeals to me from the open source community, not only Linux. That there is something to meet the need of anyone, or someone who will build the system that you need.

The nature of open source is one that foster innovation, and finding new ways to do things better.
And you can get as dirty as you want on the technical side. If you don't want to get into the gut of the software you use, you don't have to do so.

I do recommend everyone to make the jump to Linux, it's a lot easier than you may think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...