2/16/2012

Locking in your options...

Even though the Mac OS X is great OS, really good looking and easy to use, I find it disturbing that with the 10.8 Mountain Lion release you can only install Apple signed software from the Apple store by default.

For what I've been reading, there is the option to turn the option of and restore user ability to install software other the one signed by Apple, or from outside their app store. Yet, I believe that this option should be a given and not object to be taking away from the user by Apple or any other company for that matter.

Once I buy any computer with any OS, I expect to be at least be able to install any program that I want or need to work with as I see fit.

After all, we should have the right to put in any software we need to work with on any computer we want to. And if there are limitations to do so, one of them shouldn't be the OS. The OS is only the platform for us to interact with the programs we choose to work with.

We should be able to make software to work on any particular OS we want to, and to share it with who we want to without interference of the vendor who made the OS we might be targeting for. The users should be the ones who decide which programs to run, and from where they get them.

As an Ubuntu user, I've always had the Mac OS X as a second option after Linux Mint. But, if Apple keeps going down this road I won't feel comfortable using their products since they restrict my freedom to use the software and hardware I bought as I want to.

For me, it's a big deal that any one tries to tell what can or can't do with the things I buy. Once I buy them, I expect to be able to use them as I see fit.

To be honest, I would like to see Apple users to make Apple stop building artificial walls around them that limit how they can use the computers and smart phones they bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...