11/14/2012

I'm all about Linux and FLOSS...

The more I use Ubuntu, the less likely I'm to switch back to Windows or even make the move to Apple. If I ever change my OS, it would be to another Linux distro that's Debian based as Ubuntu.

I simply have found that Ubuntu works for me far better than Windows ever did, and I don't agree how Apple manages it's software. Also because as a matter of principle, FLOSS strikes a core with what I believe in. Mainly that software should be free in the sense that anyone should be able to see it's source core, modify it, and to redistribute any improvement made to the code.

The freedoms that come with FLOSS gives the users the control over the software they install on their machines. Not only in the way it works and its configuration, but in order to make customizations to the software independently of the source. This makes FLOSS a lot more flexible to the end user, while it benefits the community of users as a whole since those modifications can be shared back.

In the personal level, I feel confident that if Canonical takes Ubuntu on a path that I disagree upon I can change to another Linux distro and have access to the same software I use now. And even if there aren't I can't use a particular one, there will be another that works for me.

In many ways, FLOSS is about people not about the software itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...