4/24/2012

Blackberry OS might go open source...

So far, RIM has only made their Software Development Kit (SDK) and Application Programming Interface (API) open sourced. Yet, a couple of days ago I came across several that said that RIM is considering making the whole Blackberry OS open source.

For me, if the report is true, this is a very welcomed news. After all, the Blackberry OS is known for its robustness and security. Which is a great thing to have, to those like me that put a lot of value to having our private information secure and to share it only with the people we want to do so with.

I really hope that RIM do come trough with making the Blackberry OS open source, since it would give the FOSS community another worthy addition on the mobile OS sector. And to RIM it could mean that the Blackberry OS could have a good shoot a bouncing back, and becoming competitive by having other developers contribute innovative features to the OS.

To the consumer at large, it would mean having another good option to Apple's iOS.

I've always had a soft spot for the Blackberries, yet I've seen with some consternation RIM didn't react as it should to the iPhone threat. But, I do have some hope that if they release the Blackberry OS as open source they can have a chance to recovering somewhat.

Other than an Android handset, a Blackberry handset is the only real option I've in mind to upgrade my current handset to. And if it becomes official that RIM goes forward with this move, I might be sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...