4/28/2012

Fast passed development...

Another thing that I like about FOSS, is the how fast it's developed.

One of the cases where I've been noticing it most, is on the Unity shell on Ubuntu. I updated from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday, and in the few hours that I've been using it the improvements are quite impressive. The update has been worth it, and it has solidified Ubuntu as my favorite OS.

Yet, the fast pace of development to bring enhancements to the software is not confined to Ubuntu. It can be seen on Linux Mint, Debian, and GNOME to name some other FOSS projects that have seen great strides forward to bring better software to their users.

That there is the possibility for anyone coder to contribute to his/her favorite project to bring features, or contribute patches, brings to those projects a whole level of development that is hard to see in closes source software projects.

This makes me glad to be part of the FOSS community, and I want to make the largest amount of people not only to be aware of the benefits of it. I'd like to influence more people to use FOSS software as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...