8/02/2012

FLOSS has come a long way...

As a regular Linux, I use Ubuntu 12.04, and FLOSS user I can't but frown when I come across comments saying that FLOSS is not easy to use or that isn't stable for everyday use.

After using Ubuntu for more than two years as my main OS, I haven't had any problem at all. The few crashes I've experienced had been of particular programs, and those haven't affected the system as a whole. And since Unity came along in the 11.04 release, I think Ubuntu has become easier to use and it looks better.

There hasn't been a problem that I couldn't fix in an hour or less, and all came with easy to follow instructions to work the problem out.

Ubuntu is the one Linux distro that I can recommend to people with little experience around computers, let alone people that want to jump to the FLOSS boat. It's easy to use, stable and comes with all the software that most people is going to need out of the box.

And if you need to add something else, with the Ubuntu Software Center now is a lot easier to look for, and install, the software to do the task you need to get done.

Most arguments against FLOSS have been rendered mute, is just the matter of choosing the right distro for your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...