10/11/2012

Ubuntu's path...

When it comes to the path taken by Canonical selected for Ubuntu, as an user and fan of the OS, I agree and like with it. Yes, there are somethings that I don't like and others than I just love about Ubuntu.

The one thing that I like the most about Ubuntu, is the Unity shell. Personally, I like the way it works and it actually doesn't get in my way. Not only that, most of the bugs and lack of customization have been solved to my satisfaction on the
Precise Pangolin(12.04) version. And for the looks of it, Unity will become even more refined on the upcoming Quantal Quetzal(12.10) version.

In the 2 years I've been using Ubuntu, I've had no major problems. The only crash I had was while testing a beta version, which is not really that much of the issue. Not only that, all the software I need can be used on Ubuntu without much trouble.

I'm not saying that Ubuntu is perfect, it's not the best option for everybody and it may not fit all tasted. I find that I miss being able to easily video chat on MSN, but since I mostly use Skype for it doesn't really matter. I also disliked that for a
Rhythmbox was not included as default for a couple of version, but it was just a matter of downloading it from Ubuntu's software center and install it.

For the looks of it, Canonical is setting Ubuntu to be a great option for beginners and users like me that want to use a Linux distro but don't want to dig on the technical side of it. Not only that, it's a stable and robust OS that has great design.

I plan to stick with Ubuntu on the long haul, since it gives me the best option for my particular computing needs, while being a distro that I'm proud to recommend to new and advance users that want something that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...