3/21/2012

Linux, as friendly as you want it to be...

One of the things I notice when I talk to friends and family about Linux, is that most of the time they believe that it's hard to use and that what you can do in it is somewhat limited.

Most of them seem intimidated by the idea of running an OS that's not Windows. Some have seen Ubuntu running on my laptop, and they seem confused that it isn't at all what they thought it would be. I mean, they see me running Firefox and Skype as it would on Windows and most often than not they seem a lot more interested in trying a Linux distro.

As a matter of fact, if they would ask me to set them a Linux machine for them I would set them with one running either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. I find that these two distros are far less intimidating for new Linux users, and offer all the functionalities that most people need for their computing.

Not only that, they are easy to use and the user interface is quite friendly, making them the ideal starting point for the average user coming to Linux.

And it helps that I know my way around both distros, since I've used both on daily basis. Yet, personally I'd recommend Ubuntu since it's my personal favorite. But there is one of the great thing about Linux, and the FOSS community at large, there is something that will adapt to your needs a lot better if you look for it. Not only that, the community behind it will be there to help if you run into trouble with a quick search.

I do recommend to move from Windows to a Linux distro, it'll be one of the best moves you can make computer wise.

1 comment:

  1. asi es hay cosas chidas de linux y algunas inestabilidades del sistema, por ejemplo en mexico aun no es posible usar linux al cien pues hay inconvenientes de compatibilidad

    ReplyDelete

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...