3/05/2012

Innovation a through collaboration...

Collaboration among the community as a whole is one of the virtues of the FOSS movement that makes it strong, vibrant and place where innovations are fairly common.

This is because people question the current models, and are continuously asking themselves how things could work better. By doing so, new ways to do things are dreamed up. While many fail, the few that work bring really great things to the table that benefit the community as a whole.

Not only this, everyone is aware that there isn't a single correct way to do things. All depends on what is the end result we are looking for, and with what are we going to work with. As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The real question, is what tools work better for you. What works in a given set of circumstances, might not work with another set.

FOSS gives you the ability to find the set of tools that adapt better to your needs, giving the user the chance to focus on what needs to be done and not on the tool being used. If the tool gets in the way, then it's useless.

Proprietary software got in my way more often than not. Since I made the switch to FOSS, I've found changing the tool because I found something better or because I just liked the way it looked. FOSS has given me a level of freedom and flexibility that I never enjoyed before.

Not only that, it made more aware of the community behind the projects I use. And gave a motive to try to reach out and do my part. In other words, collaboration is no longer an option. Is something I must do to help to make things better not only on a personal level, but for the community at large.

Because when an innovation comes out from the project I use or help with, it makes things better for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...