3/28/2012

Freedom to customize...

I don't like software or hardware that is made to use it as it comes, and with no real possibilities to make customize it to make it work as you need it to work.

On the hardware side, I want to be able to actually install on it the OS and the programs of my preference. In my case, I want to be able to load Ubuntu knowing that the manufacturer won't put any lock that prevents me to do so.

For me, it's important because I like to use my hardware with software that I enjoy using and working on. After all, having a good hardware/software interaction is a very important part to be able to get anything done on a computer, and if anything is off it really irks me to no end. I like my computer to work just so.

To be honest, I don't really do much customization on my software. Mainly I just change the icons, and some of the fonts and it's sizes. And in some programs, I change the background and/or the color combinations. Yet, I do want to have a granular control on most of what's going on with the software I use.

This is why I came to using GNU/Linux to begin with, because it gives me the ability to have a lot of control over the software I use on my hands. After trying Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian and Pear OS, I settled with Ubuntu because it combines what I'm looking on an OS and has all the software the I like. This includes Firefox and Rhythmbox, two of my favorites pieces of software ever.

I find it hard to use any hardware, or software, that makes if difficult to set it up to be used as I want it to work. They should work around me, not the other way around. After all, they should make my life easier. Great hardware and software are the ones who work without you noticing how they get things done, yet when you check how they do it you are able to see how they do the work.

When I look for a computer now, it has to have a design that I like the looks of and I can actually get work on it. And, it has to be able to run Ubuntu or Linux Mint without a glitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious about the iPhone user experience.

Even though I'm looking forward to the Android 15  on my Google Pixel 7a , I still see the iPhone  and wonder how would be using it as a...